Sunday, August 7, 2011

I've Been Sick

Sorry for the silence. It's not been intentional!

The kids have been at grandma and grandpa's for the past 4 days. Shane and I enjoyed our 4 kid free days and got a lot accomplished. We painted Caleb's bedroom as well as our master bathroom. I really wanted to get Hannah's room painted, but that will have to wait another few weeks.

The real reason for my absence is this:

Friday, I was feeling pretty puny. I thought it was just the heat and over doing it with the painting. I guess I was wrong.

Saturday, I woke up and could tell that I was having some kidney issues. I suffer, frequently, from UTI's and kidney infections, so I knew that I was beginning to feel the pain that comes along with that. I also know they are nothing to mess around with, so I immediately called the doctor. After a quick test- it was, of course, confirmed that I have a UTI.

I came home on an antibiotic and tylenol for the pain. Within 3 hours, I was in excruciating pain- rolling around on the floor, crying, and screaming from the pain. It was worse than childbirth- at least with contractions you get 15-30 seconds of rest between contractions. Not with this. It was 8 hours of the WORST pain I have ever felt in my life.

At that point, I still had not spiked a fever but I had become nauseous. Shane called the doctor, as I was unable to speak at that point, and asked what we could do. He prescribed an anti nauseous medication that knocked me out and allowed me to sleep for a little bit.

Finally, by the evening and after 3 doses of antibiotic, my pain was not quite as intense and I was able to sleep comfortably.

However, at 1:15am, I woke up shivering violently. I couldn't control the shaking and I was struggling to breathe. After about 15 minutes of trying to figure out what was going on,  Shane finally begged me to let him take me to the ER. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it the 15 minutes that it takes to get to the local hospital- I thought for sure I was going to pass out.

We got to the ER and I was immediately taken back. After a few good pukes, a very small dose of dilaudid (spelling?) for pain, and some fluids I was feeling much better.

The ER doctor determined that I had Pyelonephritis which is basically a pretty severe kidney infection. The only way to safely treat it was to admit me to labor and delivery and give me some huge doses of IV antibiotics.

So, I've been in the hospital all day. My OB came to check on me during rounds and he wasn't completely convinced that it is a full blown kidney infection because I hadn't spiked a fever. He decided to give me 1 more dose of antibiotics and to send me home. (they had been monitoring baby and he was not in distress at all.)

So, here I am. Home. Still not feeling 100%, but thankful to be home and resting. The kids are back from grandma and grandpa's and Shane isn't going to work tomorrow so I can continue to rest (originally- I was supposed to be in the hospital until tomorrow sometime.) My kidney still hurts- but thankfully not as bad as it did.

I'm praying that this is over with and I'm on the mend. I think we caught it early enough before it got too out of control, so hopefully a few more days of antibiotics will take care of it all together.



Auntie M said...

So sorry honey. I've been there but not pg at the same time. Can't imagine having to worry about kids, a baby-to-come, and that god-awful pain at the same time. Glad Shane hauled you off to the doctor. XO

Ausmerican Housewife said...

Ai yi yi! Not fun.

Lis said...

Praying your on the mend and get some good rest time.

Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana
© No content of this blog may be used or re-printed without written permission