HomeFierce&FeistyJoshua's Broken HeartCongenital Heart DefectsOther Sites I love

Friday, June 3, 2011

Settling In and My Furniture Refinishing Secrets!

The chaos of moving is slowly starting to die down.

I can count on one hand, the number of boxes that need to be unpacked still. Pictures have been hung, and we are waiting on the carpet cleaners to come clean the carpet. (don't ask why they weren't cleaned before we moved in when the house was empty...AAARRRRGGGG!)

The kids rooms are put together, our clothes are hanging neatly in the closets, and the last few things that we needed to purchase from Lowe's have been bought!

All I need to do is go grocery shopping and we will be set!

Whew! What a chaotic and exhausting few days it's been!

I've had quite a few questions about this post.

Here are my secrets:

First of all, I'm cheap when it comes to paint. I hate buying expensive paint. I usually use Colorplace paint from Walmart. Can't beat $16 a gallon compared to $25-30/gallon for more expensive paint!

For all of the furniture that I repainted (bed frames, dresser, and end tables) I used Colorplace Exterior Semi-Gloss  latex paint. We chose the exterior because these pieces were going to be used extensively and exterior holds up better than interior (at least for furniture!)

Before I started though, I had to prime it all first. That is where I don't skimp. I used the Zinsser Bin Primer. It allowed me to do minimal scraping and sanding and will adhere to almost anything. But don't let my laziness fool you- that stuff is $42/gallon. Yikes! (I only used a half gallon so I have some left over to go crazy with my other furniture!)

So, I primed it and let it dry for 24 hours and then I painted.

For the dresser and the bedframe, I used a color by Glidden called Juicy Cantaloupe.
I wish I had saved the color card from the blue, but I didn't! booooo!!!!!!! I think the color was called "True Turquoise" or something like that. It was also a color by Glidden.

And finally for the handles, I spray painted them all silver.

I hope that answered all of your questions!

Can't wait to show you our new furniture in our new house!




1 comment:

Robin said...

I can't wait for the pics! Glad you are settling in nicely. :-)

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana
© No content of this blog may be used or re-printed without written permission