HomeFierce&FeistyJoshua's Broken HeartCongenital Heart DefectsOther Sites I love

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cardiology Visit Updated...again

So...after about 2.5 hours of waiting at the cardiologists office, we finally were able to see the doctor.

Here is what we found out:

Hannah has a very small (2mm) ASD. An ASD is short for Atrial Septal Defect. It is essentially a hole in the wall of the heart that separates the two upper chambers. When we are born we all have an ASD. However they usually close within the first year of life. Since she is 2, almost 3 years old, they want to keep an eye on it. He is hoping that it will just close on its own. However, if it doesn't it should not need any surgical intervention unless it gets larger. I'm positive she will be ok. I'm just thankful we know about it and can keep an eye on it. We scheduled an appointment for a year from now to make sure that it has closed. (Side note: the doctor could hear a small murmur. PLEASE....WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO THE DOCTOR ASK THEM IF THEY HEAR A MURMUR. If they do, don't just fluff it off. Make sure your child is OK!!!)


Now to Caleb. He's been continuing to have those crazy breathing/pounding heart episodes. The doctor started him on an inhaler for asthma just a month ago (I'm still not fully convinced that is what is going on...). He wants to be sure that it isn't some sort of arrhythmia or fast heart rate. Caleb is hooked up to a Holter monitor for the next 24 hours. We will have to take him back tomorrow and then hopefully we will have the results of it soon and then decide where to go from there.The ECHO and EKG showed that everything is fine, but it wouldn't have shown if he was having random episodes of arrhythmias.

Surprisingly, I am OK. I'm glad that we know exactly what is going on. I'm glad that I pushed to have both of them checked out. I'm continuing to follow my instincts and they are proving to be right (even if others think I'm a complete basket case!). I'm thankful that the stuff with Hannah's heart is not serious and I'm praying that Caleb's stuff isn't either.

Thank you all so much for checking in and for your words of encouragement and most of all your prayers! I really appreciate it!

16 comments:

Shawna said...

You are all in my thoughts. Much love to you all! Try to stay positive.

Sarah said...

Many prayers... How are you feeling?

In the absence of anything else could Caleb have an anxiety disorder? My 10 yo does/has since... who knows when... Just a thought...

Lisette said...

I think it is so great that you had them checked. Praying all the best for you.

Robin said...

praying for your family!

Anonymous said...

my child has TOF i know is scary to have a child with heart issues. try to stay positive for your children!

Carrie Flynn said...

My goodness. Glad you know about Miss Hannah, and that it shouldn't be anything to worry about. Will be praying Caleb's is nothing. <3

Anonymous said...

Jill-
I'm so happy you have some answers! Emmett has an ASD (or PFO) and he's 16 months now and we're still "watching it". From what I've read, they are only fixed if they are causing serious trouble...which is good that they don't feel that it's serious enough to fix! It's usually done in the cath lab (Dade had his pulmonary valve stretched out and Emmett had an occlusion device placed in his PDA, both through the cath lab) and the recovery time is like a day. Both boys were released early the next morning with no restrictions on activity. IF she has to have a cath, she won't be down for more than a day or two :)

Thinking of you ALWAYS!
Nikki

Paula B said...

Glad you took them to be seen by the cardiologist. He is very good I am sure. Still praying for you and the family as always. We sure love all of you.

The Cox Family said...

So glad you are trusting your instincts and they are right! Us Mommas are not stupid!

Beth W. said...

You should trust your instincts. Just tonight in class we talked about how women are encouraged to ignore them and sometimes we shouldn't have. They can keep us out of real trouble or alert us to trouble. I think you would agree that sometimes we can call our instincts the Holy Spirit. :0)

Mellow said...

Praying for you all. Hang in there.

Auntie M said...

Wow! Will be praying all is well with these precious hearts.

Jill said...

I second the murmur statement. Levi has one and our ped didn't rest until it was thoroughly investigated and we knew what was going on.

Btw, I LOVE AND MISS YOU!

Peach said...

Praying for the hole to close up and for Caleb to not have those episodes.

Megan@TrueDaughter said...

Hello!
Hey, Caleb sounds just like my daugheter, Mackenzie. She had Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome. It is an extra wire in the heart that completes another circuit, resulting in episodes of fast heart rate. This is VERY TREATABLE, hopefully, you will catch it with the holter. My daughter used a monitor where you would push a button to record when an attack was starting. She has since had a very effective surgery to correct it. It was NOT open heart, they went in through a vein in her leg, and cauterized the extra wire, and she has not had any problem since. This is so very treatable, but can be dangerous - good for you - being proactive makes all the difference. Blessings and prayers for healthy children for you, Megan

ladyturtle2 said...

Hi. I came to your blog through a friends. I have one child with CHD. I have also lost an infant. Continue to follow your instincts. Just as you said "even if others think I'm a complete basket case." Thr Lord has always guided me this way. The Holy Spirit is amazing! Praying for you and your family.

Erika

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana
© No content of this blog may be used or re-printed without written permission