HomeFierce&FeistyJoshua's Broken HeartCongenital Heart DefectsOther Sites I love

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Joshua Update

Just a quick update.

Joshua is doing exceptionally well. He is just the most calm and sweetest baby I have ever met. It's extremely hard not to be able to hold him, but I keep asking. It's not really a matter of the nurses forgetting, it's a matter of the umbilical line and how sensitive it is. The last thing I want is for something to happen to that line and have Joshua bleed excessively or mess up the IV that keeps his PDA open. I'm just trusting that if I'm supposed to hold him, God will give me that opportunity to, and if I'm not, He won't open that door.

Joshua has been having a few episodes of apnea. It has not been frequent or severe enough to have to intubate him, but it is enough to keep a close eye on him. If it continues to get worse, they will probably intubate him before his surgery. Continue to pray that he stays off the vent and continues to breathe on his own.

Pumping is going great. I was excited at how much I got on my first pump, so I'm hopeful that my supply will be enough.

Hannah will not be allowed to see Joshua because she is too young for the NICU- according to their rules. Caleb will get to see him, we are just waiting for him to come back to the hospital so he can go see him.

Thank you all so much for your prayers (again!). We have felt every one of them and we know Joshua is being carried by them!

9 comments:

laura said...

this is great news, jill! love that he's doing so well. prayers continue for the medical staff caring for him, the family who is so anxiously awaiting meeting their newest brother, and for you - that the peace of God surrounds and keeps you. (also that you will soon get to hold the lil squirt safely!)

Leah said...

aww.bless that little guy even more lord!! I know how hard it is not to hold your new baby..I only had a wait a few days but still I felt that sting! God is with you walking you through every step, Jill. This little man has DESTINY! Can't wait to see him :)

Steph said...

So awesome to hear this wonderful news and I keep praying for y'all and your family. I pray Joshua continues to do well and thank you for all the updates and he is just beautiful...but I am sure the pictures do not do justice. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! Praying that you get to hold Joshua before surgery - if only for a moment. Everything that you are experiencing is normal for a chd baby (if there is such a thing as normal in this world of heart babies)

Keep up the pumping just as you would if you were breast feeding him directly....I had a close relationship with my double breast pump! HA. (sorry, could not resist the humor...if you don't laugh enough within the next few weeks you will cry)

Are they allowing him to suck from a bottle? Sometimes they have a finger drip thing that they use. Or are they tube(nasal) feeding him?

Are they allowing you to touch him at all? I remember sitting beside McKenzie's crib and just touching her foot for hours. They would not allow us to touch her for 3 days after her surgery because they did not want her stimulated that much. We even had to whisper when we were near her - they did not want her responding to our voices. I am sending prayers that you are at least able to touch Joshua....but know in your heart that he feels you near.

Prayers that Joshua continues to move in this direction. That he continues to make steady progress. Glad to read that his pressures and sat levels are great. That is awesome news!

Shannon Egan

Amy said...

I was going to ask the same thing Shannon did: Can you touch him?

Jill, you are doing so awesome on the updates! Just thought I'd tell you that. You have so much going on right now, and yet you haven't forgotten the MANY of us who are glued to the internet and praying all the time. In addition to healing for Joshua (of course), I pray God continues to give you and Shane strength, peace, comfort, hope, and more strength.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE A 2YR OLD DAUGHTER WHO HAS HLHS AND I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU WILL GET TO HOLD JOSHUA BEFORE SURGERY, EITHER THE NIGHT BEFORE OR THE MORNING OF, I PROMISE YOU THAT!!! YOUR FAMILY IS IN OUR PRAYERS, MAKE SURE YOU GET PLENTY OF REST NOW BECAUSE WHEN JOSHUA WAKES UP AFTER SURGERY HE'S REALLY GOING TO NEED YOU, TO FEED HIM, BURP HIM, CHANGE HIS DIAPERS, GIVE HIS MEDS, ETC.
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME ANYTIME AT brttnyvns@yahoo.com.
BRITTANY

Erika said...

So wonderful to hear that he continues to do well. Will keep praying! ((HUGS))

Stefenie said...

I am so happy to hear that Joshua continues to do so well. I keep praying for things to remain calm and stable for him until it is time for surgery.

Just stroke Joshua's head and arms as much as they allow you to. I know it is hard not being able to hold them but trust me when I say that you will get that moment and it will be so worth the wait!

Wodzisz Family said...

I am so happy to hear that he is not intubated. I know you are enjoying spending every second you are able with him. Can't wait to see more pictures.

 
Designs by Dana
© 2011 Designs by Dana
© No content of this blog may be used or re-printed without written permission